Thursday, June 23, 2016

Review - All the Good Parts by Loretta Nyhan

At thirty-nine, Leona Accorsi is broke, single, back in school, and living in her sister Carly’s basement. She’s perfectly content being quirky Auntie Lee to Carly’s four children. That is, until Leona’s doctor tells her that if she wants to have a child, she’d better do it now.
Leona does want a baby. She always has, but the circumstances have never been right. Now she has a huge decision to make: face motherhood on her own or risk missing out on its rewards.
Unfortunately, she’s let her romantic life go stagnant. She barely even knows any single men. She has just a few prospects: a Vietnam vet and partial amputee, his intimidating son, the sweet but troubled man who tutors her niece, and a fellow nursing student she’s never actually met.
As Leona discovers more about each one, she realizes any of them could be the right man for the job. The more important question is, has she become the right woman?

My thoughts
I must say that Loretta has really hit it out of the park with this book.  I am somewhat speechless as I write,  trying to figure out how I can truly capture the essence that is this story.  It interweaves so many different story lines - marriage, love, desire for a child, trying to find ones way and so many more!
On some levels I feel as if I can really relate to Leona (except for the desire to have a child, I already have 3 little lovely crazies of my own - I AM ALL SET!) LOL and what she is going through.  I have recently hit a plateau in my career and I have not been happy for about a year now (not making enough money) and at the age of 36 I returned to school to get my Master's.  A year later I couldn't be happier and graduation is just around the corner!  I needed to find what truly made me happy and it took me a few years longer than others.
From Leona's point of view she is is missing something in her life - she is making very little money, doesn't have a man, is back in school and is living in her sister's basement.  I would say this girl is not the poster candidate for having a child but who really is?  Leona's doctor and good friend asked her if she had an desire to have a child, Leona had never really thought about it till now?  Thinking in terms of fertility, her doctor told her she really needed to get going if this was a desire.  What is a woman to do?  Lets see - she has no boyfriend prospects, little monetary funds, less than desired hours at work - can she really consider having a child?
She starts her journey of picking a donor by making a list of her prospects - a client of hers that is a Vietnam Vet, his son that is kind of a jerk, a "guy" on the internet that she has never met before from her online nursing class and a guy who tutors her niece and is essentially homeless.  I give her credit for all the tough choices she has ahead and you will love every step of the adventure that she is about to take you on (for better and for worse).  She will have to pick the perfect daddy to be and the ride that it takes to get there is not easy!  Grab your favorite bottle of wine and sit back and enjoy the crazy ride ahead!

Wine of Choice
Well, as some studies have pointed out, drinking 1 to 5 glasses of wine per week can increase your chances of having a child, so my pick is going to be a delicious glass of Red Cat wine to help in Leona's journey!
Rating 
I was hooked from the beginning to the end and loved every moment, All the Good Parts is a 5 wine glass book hands down!  You will not be disappointed!



 


No comments:

Post a Comment