Thursday, October 11, 2018

The Dinner List by Rebecca Serle




When Sabrina Nielsen arrives at her thirtieth birthday dinner she finds at the table not just her best friend, but also her favorite professor from college, her father, her ex-fiance, Tobias, and Audrey Hepburn.

At one point or another, we’ve all been asked to name five people, living or dead, with whom we’d like to have dinner. Why do we choose the people we do? And what if that dinner was to actually happen? These are the questions Sabrina contends with in Rebecca Serle’s utterly captivating novel, The Dinner List, a story imbued with the same delightful magical realism as Sliding Doors, and The Rosie Project.

As the appetizers are served, wine poured, and dinner table conversation begins, it becomes clear that there’s a reason these six people have been gathered together, and as Rebecca Serle masterfully traces Sabrina’s love affair with Tobias and her coming of age in New York City, The Dinner List grapples with the definition of romance, the expectations of love, and how we navigate our way through it to happiness. Oh, and of course, wisdom from Audrey Hepburn.


My Thoughts
What an amazing read.  It was the read that I needed on that given day.  It struck a cord and I read it in less 24 hours. 
There were so many parts that really tugged at me - when I was younger I was always the one to "make it work", even if it wasn't healthy I was determined.
I loved the points that spoke of knowing that things will not always be at their full potential, that you must realize that true happiness is accepting that 95% pf the time life is imperfect.
Without giving too many details away, the ending really got to me and I was on the verge of all out tears which is very rare for me.  This ending (just slightly before the ending), wow. 

Drink Selection
I'm going to pair this delightful read with champagne, after all, we are celebrating Sabby's birthday.

Rating


Rebecca Serle
About Rebecca
Rebecca Serle is an author and television writer who lives between New York and Los Angeles. Serle most recently co-developed the hit TV adaptation of her young adult series Famous in Love, now on Freeform. She loves Nancy Meyers films, bathrobes, and giving unsolicited advice on love. She can be found on twitter: @RebeccaASerle

Link to Purchase


No comments:

Post a Comment